The Graduate School is committed to graduate education that offers students the opportunity to excel in their chosen field of study, cross disciplinary boundaries to explore new areas of research and creativity, and gain the knowledge and skills needed to thrive in graduate school and beyond. We provide critical support in the form of direct fellowships, grants, mentoring, and professional development that many departments are unable to provide. Help us help students succeed at UMass Amherst!
Your gift will help fund:
Diversity & Inclusion Fellowships
- The Spaulding-Smith Fellowship is awarded to outstanding doctoral students from historically underrepresented groups in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM)
- The Research Enhancement and Leadership (REAL) Fellowship is awarded to outstanding doctoral and MFA students from historically underrepresented groups in the humanities and arts, social sciences, education, nursing and business.
- Predissertation Research Grants of up to $1,000 offer early career doctoral students the opportunity to evaluate the feasibility of planned dissertation research, generate pilot data, or establish the necessary networks to carry out future dissertation research, among other activities.
- Dissertation Research Grants provide up to $1,000 for costs associated with data collection or analysis.
- Dissertation Fieldwork Grants of up to $5,000 provide support for fieldwork expenses.
- Travel Grants support travel for conferences, professional development workshops, and research.
- The Office of Professional Development offers more than 300 events per year. Our extensive programming prepares participants to thrive in academia, industry, government, and the non-profit sector.
Three Minute Thesis
- The annual Three Minute Thesis competition is a flagship event for the Graduate School. This popular speaking competition challenges graduate students to communicate the significance of their research to a general audience, all in three minutes or less. Financial support for this event will help provide workshops and trainings to promote communication skill development for participants and provide prize money to support research conducted by our competition winners.
Dissertation Writing Retreats
- Four annual dissertation-writing retreats offer grad student participants time to write and develop effective writing strategies alongside fellow dissertators.